· Utilizing effective communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with the resident, family members and internal and external care partners;
· Delivering person -centred care which recognizes both the uniqueness of each resident and an awareness of one’s own contribution to the relationship, including personal attributes, values, and action to include:
o contributing to the development of the person-centred philosophy of care
o promoting and preserving the abilities and self-esteem of the person
o promoting the residents’ integration to their environment
o developing strategies to promote optimal quality of life for the resident with responsive behaviours.
· Using assessment tools based on best practices to conduct initial and ongoing assessments describing interventions with respect to the behaviours of the residents including:
o Documenting observational behaviours, recognizing that they have meaning, assessing and accounting for how the behaviours impact the care delivery process
o Assessing the meaning and identifying the behavioural risk using objective, systematic and holistic process that take into account the P.I.E.C.E.S
o Identifying caregiver strategies that are resident-centred, age appropriate, maintains the resident’s dignity when responding to the behaviours and managing the associated risks
· Conducting weekly rounds with the PSW Behavioural Support staff and P.I.E.C.E.S. Nurse;
· Ensuring that there is a current plan of care in place for the resident with responsive behaviours that directs the staff in providing care and mitigating risk to the resident, other residents, staff, and care providers;
· Liaising with external partners to support resident-centred care;
· Communicating to senior management staff any areas of risk associated with responsive behaviours;
· Participating in quality improvement activities and takes part in reporting monthly stats on responsive behaviours;
· Acting as a mentor and coach to staff to ensure collaboration of care and services for responsive behaviours;
· Conducting resident case reviews to support the plan of care for the responsive resident;
· Attending Professional Advisory Committee on a quarterly basis;
· Knowledge of how medication treatment may affect the care of the residents and collaborates with the pharmacist and physician;
· Assuming responsibility for personal and development through participation in Staff Development programs, seminars and workshops. Required to attend ongoing training to support skills in managing residents with responsive behaviours;
· Demonstrating an understanding and commitment to the philosophy, objectives, and policies of the Home and the Behavioural Support Ontario Project;
· Providing quality customer service to all parties, including but not limited to: the Management Team, Head Office, other staff, the families and the residents
· Works flexible hours to meet behavioural needs of the resident exhibiting responsive behaviours.
· Required to attend behavioural support committee meetings as required.
· Other duties and tasks as assigned.